What are Essential Fatty Acids?
Nutrients required for living cells to function properly
Too much Omega-6 intake is a key health issue in the US
Need for Omega-3s is greater because of excessive Omega-6 in the diet
Why are they Essential?
- Heart health
- Joint health
- Mental health
- Immune health
- Infant and child development
Key Benefits of Omega-3
- Quality of Life
Research and development of Essential Fatty Acids:
1971–First scientific publication indicating that Omega-3 from fish supports heart health in the US. It was determined that:
Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) are polyunsaturated (liquid) fats identified as essential to human health. They are nutrients required for proper function of all living cells.
EFAs impact every biological process in the body
Fish oil supplements are a recognized key element in improving overall human health
Omega-3s are critical (essential!) for good health
In the body, Omega-3 fats are found in cell membranes. Membranes are the “housing,” the outer structure, that encases what is inside the cell. The health of cell membranes is vital for all living biological processes—getting enough Omega-3 keeps cell membranes healthy and working properly.
Without sufficient supply of Omega-3 fats
- cells become less flexible—compromising cell functioning and overall health
- cells become less permeable—impacting release of waste products
Why Omegagenetics EPA DHA by Metagenics. It is recommended to have approximately 1400 mg a day in Omega 3 fatty acids for better circulation, heart health, and weight management. I recommend only eating Salmon a maximum of 2 times a week and the other days taking the fish oil. There are many lower quality fish oils on the market but buying a low quality fish oil can be worse than taking no fish oil in many cases because bad oil can be more harmful than no oil.
This is why I like Metagenics fish oil: Its always fresh, they take the time to remove the heavy metals, and then take their scientific expertise to put the oil back together in its original bio-accessible state. There is a good Algae alternative–Omegagenics EPA DHA 300 Algae if you are vegetarian or vegan option but is a good option for those who do not want to consume animal product and want something much more effective than the difficult to process plant based flax seed or oil where the body has to convert the plant based omega 3’s into what the body can utilize. you need large qualities to into the bio-available form. Take this supplement each day if you don’t eat Salmon or other food high in Omega 3 fatty acids.
Does ALA in flax seed and walnuts deliver the same benefits as EPA and DHA? The jury’s still out on that, note the researchers, who included James Friel, PhD, of Canada’s University of Manitoba. The optimal dose of ALA is also not known.
Flaxseed and Firefighters
Friel’s team studied 62 male firefighters in the Canadian city of Winnipeg.
Why firefighters? The researchers explain that firefighters tend to have risk factors for coronary heart disease including high stress levels, high-fat diets, little exercise while in the fire hall, and being older than 40.
The researchers gave the firefighters flaxseed oil supplements in various doses, fish oil supplements or a placebo to take daily for 12 weeks.
As expected, blood levels of EPA and DHA rose in the fish oil group, and ALA rose in the flaxseed oil group. EPA levels also rose in the flaxseed oil group, but only at the higher doses (2.4 to 3.6 grams per day). The researchers write that it’s “quite attainable” to get that much ALA from foods without taking supplements.
Since flaxseed oil doesn’t contain EPA, the firefighters’ bodies must have converted some of the ALA into EPA. That didn’t seem to happen at the lower doses of flaxseed oil.
DHA was a different story. The flaxseed oil group didn’t get any increase in DHA levels; DHA only rose in the fish oil group.
More details on the benefits of Essential Fatty Acids
- EFAs were given the name “essential” when researchers discovered their importance for normal growth and development in young children
- The body manufactures most of the fats we need, including cholesterol, saturated, and unsaturated fats
- It cannot manufacture fats that are long carbon chains
- Essential fats are long carbon chains (18 carbons +)
- Essential fats must be consumed in the diet or purified supplements
- National surveys show that Americans greatly under consume essential fats, and it’s affecting our health
- EPA and DHA are found primarily in oily cold-water fish such as herring, tuna, sardines, anchovies, salmon, and cod (Fish form)
- ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) is found primarily in flaxseed oils, certain vegetable oils, and some green leafy vegetables (Plant form)
- Linoleic acid is found primarily in seeds, nuts, grains, and legumes, and is heavily present in our diet as vegetable oils (e.g. corn oil) and seed oils (e.g. sunflower oil)
- un fact: Eicosanoids “direct traffic” in cell walls
An imbalance of too much Omega-6 (linoleic acid) forms a type of eicosanoid that promotes unhealthy conditions, such as:
- Heart conditions
- Inflexible joints and redness
- Poor memory, unclear thinking
- Compromised lung function
- Acute immune conditions
- Menstrual cramps
- Inconsistent mood and behaviors
Consuming enough Omega-3 allows the body to
- Receive the nutritional benefits from a fat essential for human health
- Balance the high intake of Omega-6 by producing beneficial eicosanoids that calm tissues
2 great benefits that can only be achieved by consuming EPA and DHA Omega-3
When both Omega-3 and Omega-6 are in cells, they compete to produce eicosanoids.
If a person has eaten Omega-3 and it is in the cell, Omega-3 will be favored because the enzymes that help make eicosanoids prefer to act on Omega-3; that’s nature’s design.
- Consuming enough Omega-3 will slow down the production of Omega-6 eicosanoids
- Consuming too little Omega-3 allows for the abundant production of Omega-6 eicosanoids without any “check and balance,” and this leads to swelling, inflexibility,
and compromised tissue functioning
- With this imbalance, the progression of adverse health situations begin, starting with unpleasant symptoms, loss of vitality, then the onset of health conditions, aging…
EPA and DHA occur together in foods, they work together in the body, they help balance effects of high Omega-6 in the diet, and they contribute unique benefits
EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid)
- Supports proper levels of blood fats
- Maintains healthy blood vessels
- Promotes fit heart function with aging
- Supports joint flexibility
- Reduces swelling
- Promotes healthy cell functioning
- Strengthens immune response
- Supports healthy metabolism
DHA (docosahexaenoic acid)
- Improves mood
- Supports healthy nervous system
- Enhances memory, clear thinking
- Essential for good eye health
- Slows decline of vision
- Mother and Child
- Essential for infant brain and vision
- Promotes healthy delivery
GLA (Gamalineic Acid) omega 6 is found in borage, black currant, and evening primrose oil
- Cellular health
- Promotes smooth skin
- Diminishes skin blemishes
- Reduces symptoms of PMS
- Supports healthy immune system functioning
- GLA and fish oil work well together
- Research suggests this blend supports proper child development, including language, learning, focus, and behavior
Internationally Agreed Upon Recommendations
- Infants (1–18 months) 32 mg EPA + DHA per pound body weight
- Children (1.5–15) 15 mg EPA + DHA per pound body weight
- Adults (15 years and older) Minimum 650 mg EPA + DHA per day
- Breastfeeding women Minimum 300 mg DHA per day
- For heart health support 1 gram EPA + DHA per day
- Individuals with high blood lipids 2–4 grams EPA + DHA per day
- Large doses of cod liver oil fortified with high amounts of synthetic vitamin A may provide too much vitamin A
- There’s a risk for metals and other impurities in non-purified fish oil supplements
- Fish oil supplements are generally more pure, have less impurities then most fish, reported by consumer groups and researchers
- If you take medications for blood thinning, consult with your doctor before taking Omega-3 supplements
- Like with most supplements, it’s often recommended to stop taking Omega-3s before surgeries, always consult with your doctor
- Research shows that pure fish oil supplements are overall very safe
- Improves heart health
- Promotes healthy levels of vital fats in the blood
- Supports proper blood flow
- Maintains healthy blood vessels
- Improves overall heart function
- Reduces effects of aging
- Enhances longevity and vitality
- Fit and youthful living
Promotes Healthy Joints
- Improves joint flexibility
- Reduces stiffness, swelling, tenderness
- Improves range of motion
- Lessens fatigue
- Supports symptom-free exercise
- Supports Mental Health
- Improves disposition, focus, and behavior
- Reduces mood swings, highs and lows
- Lessens feelings of anger and loneliness
- Supports clear thinking, memory
- Omega-3 is essential for proper brain functioning
- Brain cell walls are made of fat; 30% of this fat is Omega-3 DHA
- Brain cells with enough Omega-3 are better able to respond to mood-related brain signals, keep brain traffic patterns efficient
The best defense for healthful living is a strong immune system
- Immune health
- Important for vital immune function
- Promotes vitality of all cells
- By balancing the impact of too much
Omega-6, helps reduce conditions
associated with too much Omega-6
- Seasonal and Acute Conditions
- Lessens seasonal symptoms
- Supports strong immune response
- Omega-3 is essential for normal development of brain, vision,
and immune and nervous systems in infants and children
- Specifically, infants require DHA for normal development
- Omega-3 intake for mom promotes healthy delivery
- Omega-3 during infancy supports better health in adulthood
- Children of moms who took cod liver oil during pregnancy have
tested higher on intelligence tests
- Omega-3 with GLA improves focus and behavior in children
- Research shows that children with focus and behavior issues
tend to have low levels of Omega-3 compared to other children
- Research shows that children with focus and behavior issues
- Exclusive Raw Material
- Cod liver oil: Only 100% Arctic Cod from Northern Norwegian waters
- Fish oil: Only anchovies and sardines—low on the food chain
- 100% Natural Triglyceride Form of fish oil
- Triglyceride oil is the form of fat:
- Naturally found in food, in fish, and the human body
- That our bodies are designed to efficiently digest
- Naturally stabilized
- In contrast, ethyl esters, resulting from many methods of extraction, are not found anywhere in nature. These “free fatty acids” represent the majority of fish oil concentrates on the market.
This is for informational purposes only and is not to be considered a diagnostic, treatment or cure any disease. Please consult your doctor if you have any questions.
I am also available for nutritional consultations by emailing me at email@example.com. Go to www.jotyoga.com for additional services.
To purchase one of the most high quality fish oils for the money go to http://evolutionwellness.metagenics.com/store to purchase Omegagenetics DHA EPA 300 fish oil. Vegan option available created with Algae. To make a purchase and to save use practitioner code: Evolution Wellness. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for a free phone product consultation. There is also a free 5–10 minute wellness assessment at the bottom of my page at Evolution Wellness & Nutrition Page with Metagenics.